About Me

My photo
I'm a busy Mum and a Biomedical Scientist in Haematology. My particular interest is in blood cell morphology and parasitology, where I never stop learning.

Sunday 10 January 2021

Digital Morphology case 2006DM

10th January 2021 Digital Morphology case 2006DM 

This was a good P.Vivax film showing different trophozoite stages and how the level of red cell distortion increases as the trophozoite matures. 

The initial phase, red cell enlarged but still round with cytoplasmic dots.
This is compared to  how a later trophozoite stage greatly distorts and enlarges red cells . It also highlights how later stages cause red cells to become pale as the parasite metabolises haemoglobin.
I found this very useful as I would typically associate P. Vivax with the second picture, a very amoeboid trophozoite and greatly distorted red cell. It is worth remembering how different the trophozoite can appear in all species, depending on it’s maturity. 

Circulating schizoints and gametocytes are often seen in this species, although not in this particular case. 

The case narrative also gives some useful links to training aids. I will be using these for Malaria speciation training. 

https://haematologyetc.co.uk/Malaria_stage_recognition https://haematologyetc.co.uk/Malaria_species_recognition

No comments:

Post a Comment