About Me

My photo
I'm a busy Mum and a Biomedical Scientist in Haematology. My particular interest is in blood cell morphology and parasitology, where I never stop learning.

Wednesday 14 October 2020

Malaria Parasitaemias

Dr Samuel Boadi who led Monday’s UK NEQAS Blood Parasitology course, made a very good suggestion for speeding up the calculation of Malaria percentage parasitaemias, in a busy laboratory. The laboratory should establish it’s own average number of red cells per field when using a x100 objective. This average number can be used every time, rather than the microscopist calculating it separately on every occasion. I’m going to ask number of different colleagues to count how many red cells they see on a film using a x100 objective, and take an average. I’ll fill out a quality improvement notice and see if this could be used and added to our SOP, as it will significantly improve turn around times!  

No comments:

Post a Comment